Monday 25 October 2010

Are you bored yet?????

I hope not, because here's a whole lot more. We have had a very busy weekend!
Another couple of reflections on the Loire, having left Villandry.



Saturday morning shopping at Saumur's market.  What a fish stall!

 This is for rent - anyone interested? Obviously not the stall holder who is busy counting her monnaie.
 A few local mushrooms. After all it is October and that is the festival season for funghi.
 How French are they? Locals shopping for food. Well, actually, talking more than shopping.
 Do I look as though I wish he would stop taking photos? Don't mean to!
 Dried sausage in many flavours.
Then Himself had a haircut. I took a photo of that event, but he sent me this for the blog instead.
Funny about that.
 This is the driveway for a Petit Chateau of no particular significance.....
 ...it didn't even warrant a photo. However this is the view that the people coming out of the front door have. A lot of the important houses of the various areas had a road leading straight to the church.
 Home once more for Saturday evening supper.
Back to Saumur on Sunday for the brocante (collectables and things you think that you cannot live without).  Not a lot on offer, although I had my eye on a rusty elephant, but this snap emerged. The sky reflected in a public building next to the market.
 
  This is the view from the bridge on the way in.
On the way home we went by the smallest roads we could find and stumbled across a vide grenier  Trans. "empty the barn" - (car boot to the English and garage sale to the Aussies). A strange sight in the middle of nowhere. This one is an annual event in VieullĂ© and I think that we were the only non French there. They were as amazed as we were.
A view of the vide grenier over the asparagus fields. It was over quite a big area and there were hundreds of people and about 70 stalls. We bought smoked pork off the bone, rillettes and pate, a kilo of fat red plums and a very old rusty wire horse muzzle (to stop it eating too much).
As one does.......

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm not sure how this works then - just tried to comment but I;m not here! Vide Greniers are fantastic, last one I went to in Vienne I bought a dead dear head! Look out for Depot Ventes and Troc in towns too - lots more junk. There is also a little yellow book you can buy at the Presse/newsagent, which lists all the sales etc by week and by region - it is indispensible! Will show mum your blog, lots of love Andie xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr Marks my dear friend of the lens! Who needs to go to France!..with your wonderful shots I feel as though I'm actually there! again as always your shots capture so much.. as well as the lovely Patricia! happy hols!..But where do I get that haircut! I want one now!..lol Cheers Gary

    ReplyDelete