Thursday 25 November 2010

Annie & Catherine visit from Paris

We had a great time with them both and we had three days of laughing, eating and drinking.

Catherine had seen an article in Art et Decoration about "Le Prince Jardinier" having open weekend at his chateau, called Chateau de la Bourdaisière, in the Loire, with family and tree planting as the theme. The three of us had met him previously at the L'art du Jardin annual show in the Parc de St Cloud in Paris, sadly no longer happening.
Anyway we bowled up and found out that he had invited his family and friends to plant an orchard. He was very welcoming to us four strangers and we toured the absolutely beautiful chateau and as our visit was out of season, the receptionist opened the garden boutique especially for us, so we spent a few euros in appreciation.

Then came a big surprise. I had been chatting to his manager Martine de Roquefeuil and the Prince Jardinier then came up to me and asked me if I would like to plant a tree.
I, of course, said yes and I promptly went to the new orchard and chose an apple tree. The only proviso was that I actually had to plant it. There was some consternation and discussion amongst the gardeners in charge about my leopard fur shoes & cashmere coat and their lack of suitability for the event, but we ploughed on.
Richard was busy taking photos so the head gardener took pity on me and helped a bit, muttering something about getting home in time for dinner.



Me with the Prince



This is my apple tree called "Everest" and it is the tree that helps pollinate all the others in the orchard so I am particularly pleased about that.


The other plus is that I own the fruit that comes from this tree forever and that ownership can be handed down through the generations. He will write to me and let me know when I can go and pick it up each year. My friend Catherine may have to come to my rescue with that part as I probably won't be able to fly over in the autumn each year to get my apples - but I just might, next year.



All in all it was a fantastic day. The chateau had the most wonderful atmosphere - huge fireplaces with large logs burning slowly, so beautifully decorated with taste and panache.


Annie, Catherine and I, sitting in one of the reception rooms




As well as "Le Prince Jardinier" garden shop in Paris, he also owns "Deyrolle" the amazing taxidermy shop on the left bank. Richard and I had spent hours and hours in there on a previous visit, but since then there was an enormous fire that destroyed his collection. He has re-built and re-stocked and we are going to visit again. It had such an amazing atmosphere with an extraordinary collection and I can hardly wait to see how he has re-built the shop.
This peacock in his chateau shows the quality of his stock.








Now, I promise - the next post will be of Paris

1 comment:

  1. Bowling up fur 'tip to toe' to a Prince's house to plant your 'own' fruit which will pollinate his orchard overseen by a very large peacock...now that's what I call a flaming great tale - I could hear your laugh and see the light in your eyes my Aunty. Perhaps I might join you to collect apples from your tree, the Prince and his peacock.

    ReplyDelete